Visit me on Facebook .....

Friday, February 24, 2006

Tutoring Report ....

I am very proud to report those of you who read this blog that my tutoring business is going VERY WELL. January topped all previous months and February has already topped January ... and I still have 2 more working days of February left!!

In January and February both, I have surpassed my take-home pay from teaching.

Now I need to make this DVD successful so that I won't have to worry about income over the summer months.

Tutoring is really going pretty well. I still need to increase my daytime hours. My evenings are almost totally full ... I even go from 5-10:00 on Thursdays ... which is quite a stretch for me!! All my students are reporting a rise in their grades ... something I LOVE to hear. Parents seem pleased ... and hopefully will tell other parents ....


I miss my tennis girls .... wish they would come back!! I need to investigate further how to find students like those girls ... athletes who travel circuits and need help while in this area.

I was hoping to have my daytime hours fill up with homeschoolers ... but the more I see of the homeschool business, I am pretty sure that won't happen. Most homeschoolers will not pay $40/hr for help ... and, from what I have seen .... they really don't care about the Math Skills of their children. I am absolutely 100% certain that a public school Math education is far superior to what 90% of the homeschoolers get ... especially at the secondary level.

Teaching the one day a week homeschool Saxon Math classes has been okay ... I will probably continue to do those classes but I'll have to charge more because the HER Store wants more from me!

All in all ... I have been pretty darn successful so far with this new business .... thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

//Most homeschoolers will not pay $40/hr for help ... and, from what I have seen .... they really don't care about the Math Skills of their children. I am absolutely 100% certain that a public school Math education is far superior to what 90% of the homeschoolers get ... especially at the secondary level. //

I see, if the dumb ass illerate homeschoolers won't pay your rate, it just because they are too stupid to understand the value of your services.

With an attitude like that you should keep the teaching cert updated. You are going to end up back in the public schools again.

cincin21 said...

WOW!! Someone actually does read this!!

I didn't call the homeschoolers any such names as you just did, anonymous. I have a some absolutely wonderful homeschoolers in my Saxon Classes ... and I have read about many others ...

However ... I know the content being taught at the public school level and drilled on a daily basis ... and I simply have not seen that level of content, nor drill in the homeschool math curriculums.

Saxon Math has some wonderful material .... but not nearly enough practice over the material ... I have not worked closely with other curriculums ... do you have one you would recommend?

Judy said...

I agree with your comment here about Saxon math...I always felt like it was lacking in practice.

As for the homeschoolers, you can lead a horse to water...