Visit me on Facebook .....

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Letting My Light Shine ....


Have you ever just felt like you are glowing?? I don't mean a hot flash ... I mean emitting light ... glowing!

I felt that way today.

I wasn't wearing make-up nor dressed especially well, although I did have on a fun new skirt I had bought for our upcoming trip to Mexico. My hair was chem-perm tossled and air dried ... in all it's salt-and-pepper glory.


I was planning to visit High School Counselors in the area. The Statewide TAKS test results are coming in and there are many students who will not be graduating due to these results. I wanted to let counselors know that I can and will still help these students. Shake some hands, pass out cards, give them a sample copy of my DVD.


I had to stop at a local grocery store to pick up some big envelopes. As I was walking back to the check-out counter I crossed paths with another customer and she FROZE. This young lady stood there, eyes wide open, mouth open in surprise. She looked like she had just seen a movie star .... or a ghost!


I smiled at her and asked her if she knew me ... or if I should know her. She said, "You were my favorite teacher! I am Kelly ~*~*~ and I graduated in 1998. I have never forgotten you. Thank you so much!"

Well .... if that isn't music to a teacher's ears, I don't know what is!!

I gave her a big hug, handed her one of my cards and told her I had remarried. She had been in my classes during my 2nd divorce ... and all my students had seen me suffer. I let her know I had a good guy this time and this one was going to stick!!

I asked her how her life has been the past several years .... she shrugged ... "It's been ... Life."

I told her I was online all of the time and to look me up. We hugged and went on our ways.

What a great way to start a morning!


On to Lewisville High School .... where I taught for 3 years ... 1994-1997 ... it seemed like all the adults who saw me there remembered me ... I asked to see the lead counselor and the secretary said, "Go on back. Do you remember the way?"

The counselor greeted me by name.

Other teachers I saw in the hall greeted me with joy and asked if I was coming back. That felt so nice. It also felt nice to walk out of there, climb into my car and drive away!! LOL ...
I also went to Marcus HS ... was greeted kindly by the counselor there ... saw an old friend in the counselor's office and had a nice visit.



Then I met Tom for Indian Food for lunch .... and dribbled some of it on my shirt .... sigh .... so much for glowing ....

Anyway .... more school visits tomorrow. There are five high schools in LISD.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Home School is out ... ((how does that happen??)) .... my unschoolers are taking a few weeks off, but will return and continue through the summer. Many colleges are ending this week. Basically my daytime work is slowing way down right now. Which is nice. I actually got a nap today!!

I am expecting some summer TAKS work .... and already have parents contacting me about summer tutoring. It's all good!


Gonna keep letting my light shine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments: