Visit me on Facebook .....

Friday, April 22, 2005

TAKS Poem ....

TAKS DAY WOES

BY BILL MAY


Today is the day we've all known was near;

It came at last--now we face it with fear.

We fed them breakfast and gave them a drink--

In hopes that full tummies would help them think!



We locked up the doors and put signs out to hush;

We stressed the importance and begged not to rush.

"Do your best!" "Take your time!" "You're gonna do fine!"

Their nerves are all settled--but what about mine?



I'm nervous and worried and my stomach's in knots

Praying they'll think and fill in the right dots.

Today is the day of the dreaded TAKS test,

And everyone hopes that we've all done the best

To teach them skills and the knowledge they'll need

In order to do well and really succeed.



O heck, let's be honest--in truth we just pray

That the results of this test won't dock our pay!

Those brats better work hard and do it correctly

Or else they'll have to deal with me directly!



"Slow down, you dummy!" "Check your work, you a__!"

Why did I have to have you in my class?

Oh my goodness, TAKS day is horrific

A beer after school would sure be terrific!



In bars today all across our great state

Will be teachers drinking away all the hate

For a test that makes us wild and frenzied creatures

Remind me again---Why we all became teachers?



For summer off - vacations - and to get off at four

At least that's what we've all heard before!

We all made the decision to become teachers back then

To educate the future and change lives, my friend. . .



So paste on a grin - I know it's a bummer -

But hey - only 22 school days 'til summer!!!


2 comments:

Judy said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great poem. Will share it with my teacher friends in Australia but change TAKS to the TEE! Lori