Visit me on Facebook .....

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Yesterday's Post ....

Okay .... I know yesterday's post sounded pretty anti-non-native-English Speakers. I just get so angry seeing people who may or may not be here legally getting all these extra aids and help while our basic American citizen student gets nothing. All these students count for or against my scores on the Math TAKS test. I should be glad that my Limited English Proficient (LEP) students are getting whatever help they can ....

And that brings me to today's post. The 3 students who were in my test room today were 3 of MY students ... two are Vietnamese and one Hispanic. I want very much for them to succeed!! All 3 of these young adults are good people.

Hyuen (Lily) only missed one day of my class and that was to be sworn in as a United States Citizen. She is one of my top students ... very diligent and competitive. Very intelligent, too. And she loves to smile and laugh. She is a joy to be around.

Chi (Kevin) isn't as strong a student as Hyuen and hasn't mastered the language as well .... but he is also intelligent and witty and loves to laugh. He gets along well with the students around him .... all kinds of different students. He seems wise.

Jonathan is taking Geometry for a second time after failing with a different teacher. I have been very impressed with his work ethic this time. He is doing his work on time and doing everything I ask of him w/o a complaint. He is pretty weak with the English language but he seems to be doing the Math very well. His grades have been solid and I am pleased with him.

On an individual basis I like these students very much. And I want them to do well ... and become citizens ... and be productive! I think they can! I just don't understand why it took 3 teachers to watch these 3 students take a test for over 3 hours!!

We all know illegal aliens whom we like. We all think that maybe this one or that one might deserve special treatment. I understand those feelings. But I think we need to find a way to make them become legal and documented and taxpayers and insurance holders. Make them follow the rules that all Americans are supposed to follow.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I know, it is an extremely frustrating little web we have here in the state. We make these kids, who may or may not be here legally, but it isn't their fault, take a test that they are DEFINITELY not prepared for in an amount of time that does not allow for mastery of our language...the finer points of both sides of the argument go on and on.

I wish I knew the answer. I'm only a hop/skip/jump around from the circus in Austin and I'd love to "school" 'em!