Visit me on Facebook .....

Monday, August 14, 2006

Back to the Classroom ...

LOL .... well .... I post a post about being glad that I am not going back to school ... and here I am a week later about to go select a curriculum for 6th grade and 7th grade classes I have agreed to take on!!

I will be teaching these classes twice a week ... for a total of 1.5 hours per day or 3 hours per week .... which isn't much. Should be nice to walk in at 9:30am and out at 11:00am ... and that's it! Eleven 6th graders and seven 7th graders ... should be interesting ....

The school is called Bridgepoint ... and is Private .... linked with a program called the Circle of Sciences .... http://www.circleofsciences.com .... and is here in town. The classroom I will be teaching in is in a very nice building in Parker Square in Flower Mound, TX ... which to those of you who live nearby, you know it is Hoity and Toity!

I am to meet the students on Wednesday ... and start my classes next Tuesday 8-22 ....

The woman who runs the school contacted me Friday evening and I mulled it over all day Saturday and had pretty well decided that I didn't want to do it ... it has been forever since I taught 6th graders ... do I want "classes" of students again? .... do I want to be making quizzes and tests and grading homework and keeping grades and planning lessons again? .... the really nice thing about tutoring is that you don't have to do that stuff!! ....

But then I met the lady on Sunday ... and set my price pretty high ... but the more I listened to her as we chatted about all kinds of things, the more I liked her .... she has really good energy about her and she is very straight-forward ... and her robotics team beat my ex-husband's robotics team (and that is a BIG DEAL) .... well, we negotiated a price we could both live with.

So now I need to go find curriculum. I don't think Saxon is going to cut it ... but I can for sure use the Saxon software to generate tests and quizzes and such .... and I still have my Grade-Book Plus software to set up a gradebook and generate all kinds of reports ....

Oh .... and I am getting a lot of calls from parents of students who failed the July retest of the TAKS Exit Level Math .... but they are all local and want private tutoring ... instead of buying my DVD .... more $$ for me ... but I really want the DVD to get out there!! Also there are parents calling me to "save " them spots for their kids for either the Fall or Spring ... depending on what their schedule says today ... which I think is great!! I have a feeling business is going to go well this year!!

1 comment:

Judy said...

That is probably the best scenario of a classroom - private, set your own curriculum and rules, limited classroom time, and you still have time to do all the other things you want to do! Congratulations!