Visit me on Facebook .....

Monday, August 08, 2005

Early August ...

I went to the homeschooling conference in Plano on Saturday. I mainly went to look at the Math Curriculums offered for Home Schoolers. I didn't hear any of the speakers, but I did roam around the exhibition hall and observe. I spoke with Stephen Lunsford for several minutes. He has been so nice and supportive of me ... and has given me excellent advice!! Thanks Stephen, if you are reading!!

I looked at several curriculums .... but honestly ... the only way to know if a book is good is to actually TEACH out of it!! I don't have the time to do that!! Nor the means!! So ... the Key Note speaker has published a book called 100 Top Picks for Homschool Curriculum .... and she reviews several Math Curriculums l was considering .... so I purchased that book ... and I am following her advice.

I'm going with Saxon Math. I am offering to teach 3 courses at the local Home Educators Resource Center .... so I will teach Alg I and Alg II and Advanced Math using the Saxon Books.

I must say .... there were a lot of kids at this convention ... and overall there was a sense of calm and discipline. The kids were very well behaved ... for the most part. It was very interesting just observing the families ...

1 comment:

Judy said...

I taught from Saxon Math for a number of years - I was quite unimpressed with the elementary books - not enough manipulatives to help bridge that concrete to abstract gap, but the secondary books that I used were quite productive. Probably the best thing for my struggling Algebra I students was that Saxon program!