Visit me on Facebook .....

Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Bit of Pride ....

I am very proud of a young man named Deron Williams. I am also very proud of a young man named Bracey Wright. Both of these gentlemen went to The Colony High School where I teach. I had Deron in class when he was a sophomore (Geometry). I did not have Bracey as a student.

Now .... if you are not familiar with NCAA Basketball, you probably don't recognize these two names. However .... they might become American household names soon! Kinda like Shaq ... or Magic ... or Michael Jordan! Both Deron and Bracey are going into the NBA this year.

Deron just finished his Junior year at University of Illinois .... Illinois did rather well in March Madness this year .... finishing 2nd overall ... and Deron was praised by many, including Sports Illustrated, as being the most complete basketball player in the NCAA .... he has it all.

Bracey just finished his Junior year at Indiana. Bracey was the star here at The Colony .... but injuries sidelined him a bit for Indiana. Still, he was a standout player for them .... standout enough to be able to go for the NBA draft this year!

Both Deron and Bracey were at TCHS today .... working out in the Big Gym. I went down to see them, but I couldn't get past the doorway to the gym. Coach Ryan ... head boys BB Coach here now ... was Asst. BB Coach when Deron and Bracey played here .... Coach Ryan stopped me at the door and explained that they were having an intense work-out with a couple friends of theirs and they didn't need to be disturbed. Basically he was being a "Bouncer" for them! He even had the TCHS cop in there (and he wears a gun!) I really just wanted to shake Deron's hand and tell him how proud I am of how well he has handled himself .... but I settled with leaving my new business card with Coach Ryan to give to him. I probably won't hear from him, but I tried.

When I had Deron in class he told me that his plan was to play for the NBA. He told me he was going to be the next Kobe Bryant .... (probably not a very good plan now, Deron) ... who at the time was new to the NBA just out of High School. I laughed at him .... but then he showed me online how the North Carolina Tar Heels were recruiting him already .... and he was just a sophomore at the time!!

He and Bracey went on to lead the TCHS Cougars to State their senior year ... with a Basketball team of only 8 players. This is a Texas 5-A school ... that means BIG. They finished 2nd that year ... at State. Deron and Bam (another starter on the team) invited me to their end-of-year Banquet ... and the Illinois Head Coach was the Guest Speaker. I felt pretty special, I must say. I was listed as the Favorite Teacher on the BB Program by 3 of the players (including Deron) and got invited to the Banquet. That was cool.

I just want to say ... I am really proud of these two young men.

Their Head Coach from high school .... Tommy Thomas .... told me once that they were two of the most naturally talented players he has ever seen. He coached them and advised them and guided them all through high school and beyond. These two young men could have gotten so full of themselves .... so conceited .... so self-righteous .... but they didn't. They both went to Big 10 Colleges. They both started on their respective teams their freshman year. They have both been featured in Sports Illustrated magazine.


Deron has been the one I have seen play the most. When Tom and I went shopping for a wide screen TV Deron was playing for Illinois on all the TV's in all the stores we went to. I sat and watched him play .... him and all his tattoos ... while Tom talked to the salesmen. I told everyone who would listen that I used to teach him!

I love going to our local sports bar and glancing up at one of the TV's and catching sight of Deron or Bracey playing.

Through it all ... Deron and Bracey seem to have kept very cool heads upon their shoulders. And now they will be going through the NBA draft. That is so COOL! And I am so proud!

5-13-05 .... Deron and Bracey were back here today practicing with DEREK HARPER. I guess he is giving them a few pointers. Derek graduated from the University of Illinois, too. Went NBA in 1993.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a second now. Am I getting this right? Both these guys are skipping the finishing of their formal education and entering the NBA? You're OK with that? I am glad that they have achieved their goal for a career, but there is no replacement for a solid education. I will stand corrected if I am mistaken.

cincin21 said...

Sigh .... you are correct. They have both finished their Junior years at their respective colleges. I do not know what they majored in.

I'm not 100% okay with that ... but I do know that the contract they will sign with the NBA will be worth more than the salaries I have recieved total in 22 years of teaching.

If they continue to keep good solid heads on their shoulders and invest that money wisely .... they will be fine for the rest of their lives.

I love learning for learnings sake ... but mostly I want my students to get an education so that they can make a good living.

Deron and Bracey are going to be doing just fine.