Visit me on Facebook .....

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Three and 1/2 Days Left ....

I gave my last Geometry Test today .... except for the Exam ....

Speaking of which .... Our new Principal is insisting that we include 15 TAKS type questions on this EXAM. Questions pre-written by someone else and given to us on the day of the exam ... along with some expensive bubble sheets which we have to send to the Administration building to be computer graded and analyzed. The students names and SS#'s are pre-recorded into these sheets and will be linked to these results.

Mind you .... this is all totally fake ... these are not REAL TAKS tests. This is the new Principal's pet program and she just wants to do it until the end of the year. She just isn't thinking this thing through ... (again) .....

HOWEVER .... our students took the real TAKS tests 4 weeks ago .... and many of us just flat quit going over TAKS problems once the test was over. After all .... I teach Geometry and the 10th grade TAKS tests Algebra I and Middle School Math. So I have just been focusing on my Geometry lessons (and the kids have been focusing on nothing!!)

I already have my EXAM made out and run off ... 90 copies .... 6 pages front and back ... 50 problems .... then we get an email telling us we have to put these 15 "TAKS" questions first ... grrrrrrrr ..... so now they are running 90 copies of those 15 questions for me .... and I REFUSE TO GIVE THIS TEST TO MY KIDS!!

What are they going to do?? Fire me??

And the Juniors also have to do these 15 questions .... and they have already gotten their TAKS results back .... if they passed, they will never have to take a TAKS tests again ... so why do they have to "practice" TAKS on their Final Exam??

We are all so burned out on TAKS right now .... I cannot believe that Becky thinks it is a good idea to put TAKS questions on the EXAM.

Not to mention the huge waste of paper and expensive testing bubble forms!!

Gaaaack ..... I am SO GLAD I AM LEAVING!!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I'd just smile, close my door and do my own thing. You're right - what are they going to do, fire you?

Anonymous said...

And can you believe that students are being absent!!!! We have three days of school left and they take a day off! Then they come in and want to know when they can come in a make something up. I've told them I am DONE. I have one more test to grade besides the final and I am NOT coming in early any more or staying later.